Monday, July 16, 2012

Letter #27 and #28: July 16. 2012



Dear Family,

What up “home”ies?? (Ha. Get it?  Because you are all at home and I am here. Ha.) Well, I feel like I don’t have much to write about this week.... Also
my memory is failing me... Ha! Ha!  I’m having a hard time remembering things from before the mission, and English and Spanish and others things that I can’t remember, but I know that I’ve forgotten them.  Ha! Ha!  But I’ll try to think the highlights and craziness of being in Chile from the past week.



First of all, let me talk about the dynamics of Chile. It’s pretty much a mini-America. Just not as advanced.  It looks like a dumpy part of California (except the terrain, the terrain is gorgeous!!!). The houses are small.  Our house is a mansion in comparison.  Rachel and Brett´s place would be a really rich family, and the size of Brandon and Lindsy´s apartment in Washington is like a nice version of what we have here.  They have supermarkets just like in the states and they also have a ton of little shops with candy, and produce, and other random odds and ends.

The food prepared by members is pretty much like the food prepared in the states... I think.  I’m having a hard time remembering specifics...but the food seems normal, except a few things.  They use oil for EVERYTHING and they use lard to make bread.  (That’s why it’s so good). Also, there is a TON of food at meals. For lunch we usually have soup, bread, salad, rice or potatoes or noodles, along with meat, and dessert.  The soup is usually a brothy number. Salad consists of tomatoes, celery, avocado, lettuce, cabbage, or onions, all swimming in oil. They don’t have salad dressing here.  They use oil to cook.  The meat is usually pretty hardy, too.  There is always a ton of rice, potatoes, or noodles and we HAVE to eat ALL of the food they give us.  Dessert ranges from fruit to ice cream to weird pudding to cake on occasion.  I’m hoping once I stop eating all this fattening food and am not being forced to eat so much of it
(after my mission), my weight that I’ve gained will instantly return to normal. (BTW, I´m exaggerating when I say I’m fat.  I’ve probably gained 10 lbs., but I feel fat is the problem) Anyway, I can’t remember where I was going with all this.... Ha! Ha!


We’ve run into a lot of drunk people this week... Ha. One talked non-sense to us (because we stand out because I’m blonde) and the others were so drunk they could barely walk.  I’ve never seen people so drunk!! And they were just walking down the street.  One of them in broad daylight…it was like 3 pm.  They look like zombies (the drunk people trying to walk) and I was slightly convinced that they were...Ha! Ha! Ha!  

Another investigator we found named, Felipe…he is pure gold.  We are going to put a baptismal date for him tonight. I hope he can make it!! Um....My brain is failing me... Sorry...



I peeled an avocado like a banana and ate it like an apple yesterday.  It was sooooo good. Ha. Ha. The avocados here are more sweet and they are called “paltas” here.  Chile feels like a normal place now.  Sometimes it feels like I will live here forever and am stuck in this time frame of being a missionary.  The members are my friends now and it’s no longer awkward when we hug
and kiss on the cheek.  Hmm....I don’t know what else... We have a lot to do today.  There is
never enough time on p-days to get everything done...they go by too fast.  Time is starting to speed up just a little bit and I’m no longer counting days.... well, I’m going to stop rambling now for the sake of embarrassing myself further... Hasta proximo semana!!!! I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!


-Hermana Hermansen




Rachel,

So I got a dearelder from you this past week!!  Thank you for sharing with me your experiences of trek.  I loved trek!!  I hope to go again someday :) It’s funny that I should receive your
letter describing such events just shortly after having watched 17 Miracles for an FHE with a less active family.  I found myself sobbing by the end of the movie as I come to realize how great of a work the pioneers paved way to come forth.  They moved the gospel across the country and now missionaries are spreading that same gospel, that same great cause throughout the world.  It was NOT for nothing.  I was reading in the Liahona from General Conference, a talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks about sacrifice.  I found a cool quote that I wanted to share with you. He said, “Their epic sacrifices (talking about the pioneers... p.s. I love that an apostle used the word “epic”... :)) of lives, family relationships, homes, and comforts are at the foundation of the restored gospel.”  Now that I’m on my mission and can ever so slightly relate to some of those sacrifices, I can better realize how great of a work they actually did.

It’s amazing to me how much comprehension I’m receiving on my mission.  Its comprehension and understanding that can only be brought to pass by sacrifice and affliction.  Although each day is a struggle, a struggle to get out of bed, a struggle to find people to teach, a struggle to teach those people we find, and a struggle to follow the holy ghost, it is all 100% necessary for
progression, as are ALL trials in this life.  I look up to the pioneers who endured SO much for the sake of this gospel and hope that one day, I might be able to freely give such great sacrifices to the Lord, as well.


Thanks for being my sister and being nice to me and loving me and missing me.  You have no idea what a comfort it is to know that I’m being missed too.  Thank you for your example and for writing me. This letter you wrote me brought me to tears (surprise, surprise), but in a good way. I miss you and I can’t wait until we get to play again.  

Love Always,
Your Sister Hermana Hermansen

P.S. “You tell me you’re in love with me!!!!”.... “No I don’t!!” ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment